Friday, July 23, 2010

Music.

In today's cluttered world of mass media, politics, celebrity obsession, sexuality, crime, and travelling the world, I often find that music is the only thing that keep me from going completely insane. So, I started to wonder, how is this possible?
In reality, buying music is, in a way, buying into the whole culture of mass media consumption. However, music, more than almost anything else in my life is capable of making me think about the world, and see it from a different perspective. I'm not talking about the Top 40 pop music that's stereotyped as being a teenagers best friend. I have to say, I loathe Lady Gaga, and Kesha's not much better. Then again, I don't go to the other end of the spectrum and embrace heavy metal music, either. I think I sit in the middle of the road, indulging in a little bit of punk, rock, some alternative, and a lot of old stuff. Then again, genres really don't matter, it's the words and melody of the song that make it so addictive and healing.

Why is it so important? I find that by observing what music people enjoy, and how they seem to feel when they're listening to it, you can learn a lot about their personality. That's not to say that everyone who listens to Slipknot, for example, is depressed or anything remotely like that. Just that music has to connect with people on some level, in order to engage them and attract an audience. In my opinion, while we're being bombarded by videos and technology, often the most simple messages can get lost. In some ways, music helps to convey these messages for us, and to bring people together by evoking emotions, thoughts, and ideas, as well as the simplicity of enjoyment.
I'm curious to know what role music plays in the lives of other people.

1 comment:

  1. These days a lot of people are writing about music! I like your post. Even I don't give a crap to what genre it is as long as the lyrics and melody is heartfelt. :)

    I'd like you to visit my blog, too.

    Take care! :)

    ReplyDelete